Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cirque du Soleil: Saltimbanco Review

As I have mentioned before, the great folks at MomSelect gave me the chance to review the show Cirque du Soleil: Saltimbanco here in Gainesville. Well, the show was last Thursday, so me, Lily, and our friends, Kim and Madison, got dolled up and headed to check it out.


It was really an awesome performance! I think the kids may have been a bit young for it still (they're three), and the bleacher seating was not the most comfortable (although, it was nice and close), but the show was amazing. There was a bit of "adult" humor that, had the girls been a little older, I would have been more concerned about. The whole show was in French which I didn't realize until Kim told me she had checked out the website (but duh, right?). They did not allow cameras in the show, so check out the Saltimbanco site for some pictures of the acts (you can also watch a trailer on the site that will give you an idea of some of the performances). Also, here is some info about the show and the meaning of the title from the Saltimbanco site.

About the Show:
" Saltimbanco -from the Italian "saltare in banco", which literally means "to jump on a bench"-explores the urban experience in all its myriad forms: the people who live there, their idiosyncrasies and likenesses, families and groups, the hustle and bustle of the street and the towering heights of skyscrapers. Between whirlwind and lull, prowess and poetry, Saltimbanco takes spectators on an allegorical and acrobatic journey into the heart of the city.

Saltimbanco is a Cirque du Soleil signature show inspired by the urban fabric of the metropolis and its colorful inhabitants. Decidedly baroque in its visual vocabulary, the show's eclectic cast of characters draws spectators into a fanciful, dreamlike world, an imaginary city where diversity is a cause for hope."

There was beautiful singing, fun dancing, and incredible acrobatics. The costumes were bright and just a lot of fun. Everyone involved in the show seemed to really enjoy what they were doing and they tried to include the audience as much as they could. One poor gentleman got called on stage to participate in a 5 minute long mime skit. He was a great sport about it and the audience thought it was hilarious. We had a blast (well, Kim and I did)! I would definitely recommend heading to check this out, but maybe leave the little ones at home!

I'd like to thank MomSelect for the opportunity for this great review!

1 comment:

Lark said...

Sounds like a fun time :o) I love that you dress your girls in matching outfits, when I was pregnant with Grant I kept thinking he'd be a girl and I bought a Christmas dress for him to match the one I got for Amelia. Needless to say, that dress got sold on Ebay after we found out he wasn't a she.